Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Semester So Far

I have really been enjoying this course so far this semester. I think that it is an important course to offer because we are so inundated with images and stories of fear that I really feel the topic needs to be addressed and discussed. I do not think that people in our society realize just how much the news is either misleading us, leaving out facts, or just flat out lying to us about very important issues, just so they can press on with their own agenda.

I also have enjoyed a lot of the readings that we have done up to this point. I liked reading the chapters from Glassner that we have read. He brings up a lot of very important issues in our society that we focus on to an insane degree, but we do not realize that we are being lied to and misinformed about. I think that his chapters are not only interesting but also pretty easy to get through, which makes reading them a better experience.

My favorite discussion section so far hands down has to be the one about horror movies. I've stated this about seventy times so far in this blog, but I love horror movies. I love being able to discuss them and look further into them. I took the horror class offered at UMass last semester, and I was sad to see it end. Having that discussion and doing those readings brought me back a little bit and let me extend the class in a sense, so I was really happy and appreciative about that.

The documentaries and films we have been assigned have also all been engaging. I don't think that I have sat through any of them feeling bored or that I haven't taken something out of it. I think that my favorites we have been assigned were "Bowling for Columbine" and "The Golden Age of Horror" (I don't remember if that is the actual title and for some reason I cannot make myself go find out for a fact). I am already a Michael Moore fan and love "Bowling for Columbine". I just think it is such a smart documentary and one that every American citizen should see. Obviously, Moore is an outspoken liberal so he is ignored by many sectors of the United States, but he really s a smart man who knows what he is talking about. I think that it was clear that I would be a fan of the horror documentary. I love horror movie countdowns and interviews with those involved with the films, especially the filmmakers. I love getting their perspective on what went into making the film and the meanings they put behind it or took out of it after it was completed. Although some parts of the documentary made me a little queasy, it was overall an enjoyable experience watching it.

I do not really think that I have any complaints for the class. I guess I would say that some of the readings, such as the Hall articles, were a little slow for me, or did not keep my attention as much as some of the others. Other than that, I don't know if I really have any other issues. I do not feel that we are assigned too much work, and I like that the class only meets one day a week because I like to have free days in my schedule. Although, this would be one class that I actually wouldn't mind meeting multiple days of the week.

I am really glad that this class is a discussion. I think that when talking about such important issues, it is important that all voices can be heard and that everyone who wants to can express his or her opinion about the topics at hand. I am very glad that I decided to take this course, and I genuinely look forward to what we are going to learn in the upcoming weeks.

HAPPY SPRING BREAK EVERYONE!! I'm off to Florida in the morning. I hope everyone has a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I agree!! I want to come to this class every day...but then I'm like...No, I like the free schedule! Haha. I'm torn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that this is a very important course to offer and I believe everyone could benefit from taking it. Too many people have unconditional trust when it comes to the news media and as we have learned the stories shown in news media should be questioned and questioned often. I am definitely happy I decide to take this course and I have learned so much already!

    ReplyDelete