Sunday, April 8, 2012

Beyond Beats and Rhymes

Like most comm students, I have taken multiple Sut Jhally classes. I think I've taken all of them, actually. So, having taken these courses, I have seen the documentary, or at least different parts of the documentary "Beyond Beats and Rhymes" multiple times. Although I am so familiar with the film and the subject matter, whenever I rewatch it, I still find myself getting shocked and disgusted over the same parts.

I find myself in a similar position to Byron's when I have to think about the idea of rap music. On the one hand, I am a huge fan of rap music; I grew up with cousins who were deeply immersed in the genre and listened to it constantly. I just love the way some songs sound and the way the words flow with the music. However, over time, I have come to see just how misogynistic and homophobic, and just downright hateful in general, most rap music is, and this causes a huge problem for me. Whereas Byron finds himself at odds with rap music because he is black and rap is such a huge part of the black community, I find myself at odds with it because I am a woman and so much of rap is revolved around the idea of demeaning and objectifying women. On top of this, I also have several close friends and family members who are gay, so that just adds onto my problem. Although I hate the message being sent out through the lyrics of rap music, I can't help but find myself rapping along with the artists and nodding my head to the beats.

I think that the documentary itself can be seen as incredibly brave. Byron goes into the black and rap communities to discuss the deeper meanings behind both rap music and the industry. What always astounds me is the reaction from rappers when he asks them questions pertaining to misogyny. If Byron asks a question about the need for masculinity in rap culture, all the rappers agree that it was what we were taught about in our society; men need guns and tattoos to show that they are "tough" and "real men". However, when Byron would mention how women are portrayed in videos and through lyrics, the rappers never seemed to see much of an issue. Russell Simmons, who is supposed to be such an activist, doesn't even really show any real concern about the issue, simply stating that it would be impossible to get involved in every issue. With misogyny being so prominent in rap culture, it's pretty concerning that Simmons could consider it with the issues that he doesn't need to get involved in directly.

What is more concerning, however, is the interviews that Byron did with women down in Daytona for BET spring break who just accepted the objectification and assault that was thrown at them. They just accepted it as a part of what rap is and what society has taught men that they are allowed to do and how to act, so they didn't attempt to talk back to the men who were harassing them. This is really a huge problem. Women are not only allowing themselves to be objectified in this way, but also accepting it. That is just an overriding summary of how most women who listen to rap deal with the subject. The women being interviewed were explaining how although there is sexism in rap, the insults aren't being directed at specific women in particular, so it isn't an issue. It is this kind of thinking that really pushes women's rights back decades and allows men to continue living the way they do.

Every time I watch this documentary, I come to appreciate Chuck D more and more. I have seen other interviews with him and documentaries that he comments on, and he just further proves himself to be one of the only popular rappers who is willing to deal with actual issues and discuss them, rather than shutting them down and ignoring them. It is that kind of bravery that is extremely needed in the rap community. Other rappers need to follow his lead and come to do the same. Here's a picture of him that I like for everyone's enjoyment:


I think something that really stood out to me was when Byron interviewed hopeful rappers, they explained how they very easily could make a real rap that deals with real issues and still sounds good, but no one wants to hear that. We have been taught that being sexist and hateful will sell records and make you famous, so even if you don't agree with what you are saying, you will say it in order to get a foot in the door. It is yet another huge issue within the rap community that needs to be addressed, rather than swept under the rug.

As I've said, I really enjoy this documentary. It always gives me a new insight into the rap community and reminds me that no matter how much time passes, we are still allowing the same music with the same messages to be made, without a hand being raised to object to it. To end my blog, here's a link to David Guetta's and Akon's "Sexy Bitch", because I have nothing but anger toward this song, which was not only ridiculously popular, but also ridiculously stupid and sexist. And, yet again, no one questioned it.

Sexy Bitch

1 comment:

  1. I think you brought up some very good points in your review about the documentary. I agree that it was disgusting some of the things that were being said in the film and I give byron a lot of credit by going straight to rappers, fans, and the executive at BET. Byron did not shy away from the challenge and instead welcomed the many different views on hip hop. But I think the way the music industry will change like in my opinion it has been, is through the fans. The fans have to step up and show the record labels that the music they want is not the violent and sexist music. I think that the industry has changed and became less violent, but I can't say the same for the sexist remarks.

    ReplyDelete